If you are participating in a research trial for a medication that could affect your sleeping or need 24-hour monitoring, an overnight study will most likely be in your future. This medical observation while you sleep allows physicians to discover what is ailing you and what treatments might be best. Plus, studies that require overnight stays also have the benefit of 24/7 monitoring and safety.
However, despite the benefits, the idea of doing an overnight study can be alarming to many people. Sleeping in a medical setting away from your home and loved ones isn’t exactly the most appealing concept.
The best way to battle against those nerves is to learn exactly what happens during an overnight study. Read on to learn more!
What Happens During an Overnight Study
While the smaller details might be different depending on which medical practice performs the overnight study, most of the steps are the same. Here is what you can expect:
- You will be provided a comfortable and private place to sleep. At the Atlanta Center for Medical Research, we give you your own room. Your room is complete with a bathroom and comfortable furnishings, in addition to entertainment and communication options. We also have common and recreation areas that offer games, music, television, and other activities.
- You are allowed to bring items from home that will make falling asleep easier. Whether that’s a special blanket or your favorite pair of PJs, you can have it in your room with you while you sleep.
- You may be connected to sensors that are placed on your head and body to properly track your sleeping. This equipment is able to detect any disturbances in your sleeping patterns, like eye movements, oxygen levels, heart rates, breathing patterns, snoring, and movement. If that idea sounds uncomfortable to you, don’t worry. You will still have plenty of room to get comfortable and move around on the bed, even with the equipment and wires.
- Needing to use the restroom in the middle of the night happens to a lot of us. If you need to go during your sleep study, the monitoring staff will be able to help you disconnect from the wires and put you back on when you finish with the restroom.
- Sleeping in a new room with all of this scary medical equipment doesn’t exactly add up to a great night’s worth of sleep. But that’s okay. You don’t need to get the best sleep of your life in order for the study to be successful.
- You will be totally safe. The technicians on site will look after you, and there will also be security to keep you secluded, safe, and happy. As we mentioned above, these kinds of studies give you 24/7 monitoring and safety precautions. You will always be looked after!
Overnight studies are a vital part of the process to uncovering how certain medications affect your sleep or monitoring you around the clock for how your body reacts to a medication. While the idea of them may sound uncomfortable, they do a lot of good work for you and your body.
The Atlanta Center for Medical Research, the national leader in research studies since 1982, is proud to provide our patients a comfortable place to sleep during sleep studies. If you have any questions about our overnight sleep studies, call us at 404-214-0820. If you have any interest in volunteering for study, sign up today.